Cornwall LivingAutumn 2018
As the seasons change, a bowl of hot soup, made from hearty autumn produce, is the just the thing.
Tom Hunter’s Jerusalem artichoke soup with smoked haddock
Executive Chef at Bedruthan Hotel, Tom Hunter, shares one of his favourite soup recipes, Jerusalem artichoke soup with smoked haddock. “This dish is a fantastic combination of flavours,” says Tom. “Very simple, but also impressive. Great as a starter or a light lunch with some fresh bread.”
1kg Jerusalem artichokes
2 sticks of celery, washed and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 leek, washed and chopped
4 pieces smoked haddock (approx 150g each)
Milk for poaching
Salt and pepper
- First, peel and slice the artichokes. Add butter to a large pan and sweat the onion, leek and celery over a gentle heat until softened.
- Add the artichokes and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes or so. Just cover with water and bring to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are very soft, then add the cream.
- Blend in a liquidiser until very smooth, pass through a sieve and season well.
- Poach the smoked haddock in the milk over a gentle heat for about 4-6 minutes until cooked.
- Spoon the soup into bowls add a piece of haddock to each bowl and serve.
"This dish is a fantastic combination of flavours"