Cornwall LivingIssue #65
Spooky soul food
Halloween pumpkin soup. Makes 6 portions.
We love carving Jack-o’-lanterns out of pumpkins at Halloween, but so many of us just throw away the insides, when they could be turned into a rich and yummy soup! So we’ve called on our favourite chef, Lizzie of Little Kitchen Magicians, to show us how to make a hearty and delicious meal to warm the soul on a windy autumnal night…
You will need…
2 red onions
1 cinnamon stick
2 pinches of freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
2 pinches of pepper
700ml vegetable stock
100ml crème fraiche (optional)
Small handful of roasted
2 teaspoons of chopped
What to do…
1. Before cooking, wash your hands and put on an apron.
2. Wash the pumpkin.
3. Now please ask an adult for help or to share the chopping in this recipe! Peel the pumpkin and chop into large bitesize chunks. Don’t forget to remove all the seeds (they can be cleaned and lightly roasted). Afterwards, place the chunks into the saucepan.
5. Peel the onion and chop into pieces. Then, place in the saucepan.
6. Add the cinnamon stick, nutmeg, cumin, paprika and pepper.
7. Measure the stock and then add to the saucepan.
8. Again, ask an adult for help. Place the saucepan on the hob and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, place the lid on and stir from time to time. Cook for 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
9. Very carefully, pour the mixture into the blender, and blend until smooth.
10. Pour the soup back into the saucepan and add the crème fraiche, then heat through and keep stirring until mixed.
11. Now serve with a sprinkle of roasted pumpkin seeds and coriander. It’s delicious with a chunk of fresh, crusty bread.
TIP: The soup can be frozen for up to a month. For a special treat, serve in a hollowed pumpkin. Firstly, preheat the oven to 170°C. Pour the soup into the empty pumpkin, then place the pumpkin lid on, put onto a baking tray and cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until hot throughout.
Please note: this recipe contains dairy (crème fraiche). If you have allergies please check all ingredients on the packet labelling before making this recipe.